Cook time: 20 minutes
● 1 box (1-pound) penne pasta
● butter for baking dish
● 3 Tbsp olive oil
● 3 cloves garlic, minced
● 2 small eggplants, washed and diced into 1-inch cubes.
● salt and pepper, to taste
● 1 can (28-ounces) diced tomatoes, do not drain
● 1 tub (15-ounces) part-skim ricotta cheese
● 2 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
● 3 Tbsp thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
● olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Cook penne pasta for 6 minutes; drain.
3. While pasta is cooking, butter a 13x9 baking dish; set aside.
4. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
5. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant.
6. Stir in diced eggplant, season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook over medium-high heat until tender,
about 7 minutes; stirring occasionally
7. Mix in tomatoes and cook until heated through; about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
8. Stir in ricotta and 1 cup shredded mozzarella.
9. Pour pasta into prepared baking dish and mix in the eggplant mixture and basil; mix until thoroughly combined.
10. Drizzle with olive oil.
11. Sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top.
12. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
13. Let cool for 5 minutes.
● Eggplant: Rich in dietary fiber, vitamin B1 and copper